SARATOGA SPRINGS— The Tang Teaching Museum’s UpBeat on the Roof concert series returns this summer with 10 free shows.
The series will feature an eclectic mix of music—folk, mountain music, soul, blues, jazz and combinations of genres—on the roof of the Frances Young Tang Teaching Museum and Art Gallery at Skidmore College, 815 N. Broadway, Saratoga Springs. Shows begin at 7 p.m. Friday, June 13, and continue most every Friday through August 22.
“Coming off the success of last year’s ‘Lucky 13th’ season, we programmed the 2014 season with a dual goal of being entertaining and educational,” said the Tang Teaching Museum’s Assistant Director for Engagement Michael Janairo. “The idea is that music lovers can learn something new by hearing new interpretations of familiar sounds and by being introduced to new bands that may challenge a listener’s expectations. Or you can just kick back and enjoy.”
Here is a full list of the Tang’s UpBeat on the Roof 2014 season. All concerts begin at 7 p.m. The rooftop is accessible via the museum elevator or outdoor staircases. Concerts often attract large crowds, so arrive early to guarantee seating. Or come even earlier to check out the artwork in the museum’s galleries. Free parking is available in parking lots adjacent to the museum. In the event of inclement weather, the concerts will be held inside the museum.
* - Debut at UpBeat on the Roof
* Friday, June 13: THE CHRONICLES, a six-piece band that combines jazz, hip-hop, funk, soul and gospel, making their
Friday, June 20: LYLE & PHIL DIVINSKY, a soul and R&B father-son duo
Friday, June 27: JEANNE O'CONNOR AND THE NEW STANDARD, soulful reinterpretations of standards from the ’60s and ’70s
Friday, July 4: No concert, museum closed
Friday, July 11: ANNIE AND THE HEDONISTS, acoustic blues, vintage jazz, swing and folk (returning act)
* Friday, July 18: HOT CLUB OF SARATOGA, gypsy jazz quintet
* Friday, July 25: LINDA MAC & COUNTRY MEMORIES, Hillbilly, Country, honky-tonk
Friday, August 1: DANA AND SUSAN ROBINSON, old-time mountain music
* Friday, August 8: JOCELYN ARNDT, blues-inspired contemporary-alternative tempered with elements of jazz, making her Upbeat debut
Friday, August 15: HEARD, a blend of jazz, classical and world music inspired by the natural environment
* Friday, August 22: MIKE PERKINS & FRIENDS, classic rock of the ’60s, ’70s, ’80s and ’90s