JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 758
My name is Colleen Pierre and I am a local gal; born and raised in Ballston Spa, NY. While I have lived many other places, I found myself back in this area to raise my children, Robby and Angeline. I truly love this area and despite being a ‘local’, I find new and interesting things all the time!
I launched MaltaMama.com back in January of 2010. For two years, I maintained MaltaMama as a daily blog about family life in Saratoga County. I was blown away by the positive response I was getting from that site. Seemed that I was not the only mama looking for things to do! SaratogaMama was launched in 2008 by Lizzie Sorensen and I acquired it in early 2011.
I took all of what I loved about MaltaMama and made SaratogaMama better- easier to navigate, more fun to view, easier to share. I also added a unique and exciting component, the ability to ADD! Have you ever wanted to start a group or meet other mama’s in the area? Host a meetup! Find an event that you think we should all know about? Add it! The possibilities are endless.
Are you looking for fun? Here’s 52 options for you and your family to do this spring in Saratoga County! Add your ideas below in the comments section. Happy Spring!
- Create an outdoor oasis where you can enjoy meals, where the kids can play, and you can kick back with a good book.
- Start doing Once A Month Cooking with some friends
- Take a hike and check out the Western Ridge Trail or some of the area fire towers
- Put a colorful wreath on your front door and get a funky new welcome mat.
- Make an easy dinner, then check out a new ice cream spot for dessert!
- Plan on attending this year’s Waterford Canal Fest and learn about tugboats while enjoying music, kids games, and more.
- Decide on a summer camp already!
- Go Green(er)! Learn about organic skincare from Organiworks, hit up the new Healthy Living Market, or shop for some home improvement items at Green Conscience.
- Select a couple books to read for this spring and summer. Have a friend read the same books so you can meet and discuss.
- Get yourself a spray tan from Island Mist Tanning! Or better yet, join us on May 3rd for our SaratogaMama Magazine launch party. Details coming soon
- Get a pedicure! We love Sanctuary Spa in Saratoga (splurge) or Make Me Fabulous in Ballston Spa (save)
- Check out a new museum! CMOST, Adirondack Museum, or NYS Museum
- Take some time out to organize your child’s book collection. You’ll feel much better after doing it
- Call a mom friend you haven’t seen in a while and set up a playdate. Spring is a good time to reconnect and renew friendships.
- Register your kids for a Fun Run! Coming up soon are the Emma Foundation Kids Run and the Cantina Fun Run
- Find a yoga studio in Saratoga County and start a new exercise routine.
- Plan a trip to Magic Forest in Lake George.
- Experiment with a bold new hair color or style!
- Book a Mother’s Day or Father’s Day portrait session. Kara Hilburger Photography has some awesome package deals.
- Learn how to use more than the ‘auto’ setting on your digital camera. Check out these tips on how to take better photographs AND learn how to best organize those digital memories.
- Hit up your favorite farmers’ market and try a new recipe, like our fave Farm to Table Frittata.
- Get a quote (finally!) on that home improvement project you’ve been dying to do for years!
- Grab some girlfriends and plan a Mama Night Out at Saratoga Paint and Sip!
- Run a 5K! We love the SPAC Rock and Run coming up on May 19th
- Check out an ARTFull Afternoon at the Hyde Museum in Glens Falls
- Make Earth Day every day and check out one of our top picks for Earth Day Crafts!
- Do some spring cleaning! Do you need to update your privacy settings on Facebook? Delete some unwanted “friends” or blasts from the past? It’s a good time for all of that social media clean out.
- Don’t stress about finding the perfect swimsuit this year and don’t go bathing suit shopping with your kids! Take your time, shop online and test some new styles in the comfort of your own home.
- Commit to learning about saving money and coupons. Check out our blogger Jen from Inspiring Savings to get the weekly scoop on what’s on sale and where!
- Plan a long weekend and visit Rochester’s National Museum of Play.
- Spend a day as a tourist! Go to the Saratoga Visitors Center across from Congress Park and do a self-guided walking tour, learn about the mineral springs, and get out and enjoy spring in Saratoga!
- Shop for toys locally and support our favorite local kids store, G. Willikers.
- Go shopping for you! In downtown Saratoga, we love Violet’s and Stella’s, Piper, Miss Scarlett, and Lucia. If you have to bring your little one, keep them quiet with a treat from Plum Dandy!
- Don’t forget about dad! Our favorite Father’s Day event is the annual Sundae on the Farm. This year it will be in Saratoga at the gorgeous McMahon Thoroughbreds, home of Funny Cide the 2003 Kentucky Derby winner.
- Have you backed up your digital files recently? Do you have those precious baby pictures stored somewhere other than your personal computer? It’s time for some file management and backup!
- Need a break from the outdoors? The Saratoga Springs Public Library recently revamped their children’s area and it’s definitely worth a visit this spring. Plus their programs rock!
- Get your 2013 SaratogaArtsFest Pass now and commit to the arts for the weekend of June 6-9th
- Looking to get back into the fitness routine after baby? We love Baby Boot Camp with Britta Hogue because she’s super motivating and the class is great for fitness meets fun.
- Grab a blanket, books, bubbles and snacks for an afternoon of stories and simple fun in the park.
- Start meal planning! I mean, really start meal planning. We love the tips and ideas from Janelle at Domestically Seasoned. She shared them in her Meal Planning 101 post.
- Mama’s with stroller kids, try doing a PJ walk at night. After dinner and bath, put the PJ’s on, grab a blanket and go for a nice walk in the evening and enjoy some quiet time together. Bring your hubby too!
- Decrease your coffee consumption and try a healthier caffeine alternative, Element Caffeinated Water! You know that we’re big fans here at SaratogaMama HQ and we think you’ll love it too.
- Try a new Saratoga restaurant for your next date nigth! A few that we’ve enjoyed recently: Harvest and Hearth, Henry St. Taproom, Maestro’s (always good), Boca Bistro, Izumi for Thai, and El Mexicana for yummy Mexican.
- See how many nights in a row you can use only your grill instead of heating up the entire kitchen with the stove.
- Plan a day trip to the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse.
- Are your kids musically inclined? Take a tour of Modern Day Music’s Rock School in Clifton Park and learn about their programs and unique teaching style.
- Check out, and print out some of our awesome coupons! If you haven’t checked in a while, we’re adding more all the time.
- Download a garage sale app like Yard Sale Treasure Map on your smartphone and find some treasures! Make sure you have cash on hand and be prepared to pick up a trinket or two for the kiddos.
- Don’t fear the rain, embrace it! Gear up and let the kids go wild splashing in puddles and searching for frogs.
- Get pinning! Use Pinterest boards to store your dream vacations, home, fashion, food, lifestyle, crafts, and more. It’s inspiration gone wild on Pinterest! Join us too.
- Score some great deals at the Kids Exchange Spring Consignment Sale, May 4th in Queensbury.
- Check out Sunnyside Gardens in Saratoga for their amazing selection of flowers. Deck your porch out with some bright colors this spring and be happy every time you come home
Happy Spring from SaratogaMama!
You may also like:
- Spring Break 2013: Guide to Fun in Saratoga
- 10 FREE Things To Do in Saratoga County Before Summer Ends
- Enjoy February Break in Saratoga County
- More to Love with our Love Local Coupons
On Saturday, April 6, 2013, the second Saratoga Baby and Toddler Expo will be held on the campus of the Saratoga Independent School. This free event will bring together businesses from around the capital region with a common theme; to serve and support area families.
Shop AND Learn at the Saratoga Baby Expo!
In addition to over 40 exhibitors and vendors, the expo will also feature seminars and special programs all day! Check out the full schedule of events to plan your day.
· The Safe Child ID Card Program will be at the expo from 9am-2pm . Safe Child ID Cards are for children 1 year and older, are free!
· On-site baby portraits will be taken by iSmile Studio and Ivory Lane Photography all day!
· Join Eenie Meenie Music in the West Wing for Music and Crafts all day!
· 10:15 a.m. What is a Doula and Why Do I Want One?
· 11:00 a.m. Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy for Babies and Beyond
· 11:45 a.m. Explore Essential Oils with Sherra Pazmino
· 12:30 p.m. How Do I Choose a Preschool?
· 1:15 p.m. Making Connections: finding the support you need for the birth you want
An event with a cause
In addition to being a fun and free event for families, the Saratoga Baby Expo will also provide support to local charity To Love A Child, who provides humanitarian assistance to families in Haiti, Zimbabwe and the US. Here’s why I personally support To Love A Child.
You can support To Love A Child be purchasing items from their bake sale, making a monetary donation, or donating your gently used baby gear!
To Love A Child will be sending a cargo shipment
to Haiti in May and need your help again!
Here is some of the gear we collected at last year’s Saratoga Baby Expo in Haiti!
Do you have any baby items you can donate?
Items accepted include new and gently used baby gear and supplies including:
· baby carriers
· high chairs
· pack and plays
· infant tubs
· onesies and other lightweight clothing for kids
· light weight baby blankets
· laundry soap, deodorant, bar/body soap
· Toys and games (no batteries please)
· new or gently used maternity tops, dresses, or skirts.
· Prenatal vitamins, infant vitamins
Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 6th from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
The first 250 attendees will receive a reusable swag bag full of goodies from some of our exhibitors!
As I hold a copy of the brand new SaratogaMama magazine in my hand, I still almost can’t believe it’s actually real. When we made our announcement about both the magazine and our partnership with Saratoga TODAY about a month ago, it started to sink in. From conceptual to actual, it’s been a wonderful journey.
I started my first blog back in college while taking a Web Journalism course. We learned the basics and were required to post once a week on a topic of our choice. For some in the class, writing was therapeutic and gave them the creative outlet they needed to share their feelings, often to no one in particular. I did enjoy writing, but I did not enjoy the loneliness of writing something only to have my professor grade it, and get maybe one or two pity-reads from classmates.
Starting way back when I was doing MaltaMama.com, I have remained dedicated to families, and ONLY families. It’s that consistency that has finally paid off, and I couldn’t be happier about what the future holds with this new partnership with Saratoga TODAY!
“I am very excited for all the possibilities this partnership will create, which will include among other things, magazines, contests and events. Our primary goal with this partnership is to help our readers with the most important task a family can undertake: raising children,”
- Chad Beatty, owner of Saratoga TODAY
The all new SaratogaMama magazine will debut at the end of February and will be a fresh and unique look at families and life in Saratoga County. SaratogaMama continues to be the only truly dedicated family resource for Saratoga County so the magazine is a natural extension of our brand.
SaratogaMama Magazine will be both enjoyable for parents and for kids. New features – like craft ideas, kid’s games, kid reviews, and opportunities for kid’s artwork submission – will make this magazine unique and exciting.