Looking for a crisp and festive complement to your holiday table?
Try this quick and healthy starter, compliments of chef and yoga instructor Meg Affonso.
* Find these Ingredients at the Farmers’ Market!
• 1 bunch kale*
• 1 pound firm apples*
• ½ cup pumpkin or squash seeds*
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup*
• Salt, to taste
Orange Mustard Vinaigrette:
• 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
• 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
• Juice of 1 orange
• 1 tablespoon Dijon (or other) mustard
• 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup*
• 1 teaspoon salt
• black pepper to taste
• 1 shallot*, minced
1. Lightly toast pumpkin seeds in pan with olive oil and salt. Remove.
2. Remove kale leaves from stems and tear into bite-size pieces. Steam in water until wilted. Drain and set aside.
3. Chop apples into bite-size chunks.
4. Combine kale and apples, and toss with maple syrup.
5. Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients and drizzle over kale and apples.
6. Top with pumpkin seeds. Toss lightly and serve.