OK Everyone, I want to congratulate you on a job well done…you have successfully made it through 2 weeks of homeschooling.
I assume you may be running out of fun and creative projects to keep the kids busy, so here are some fresh ideas...
ELEMENTARY GRADES 4th - 8th
of other counties or the 50 states and create mini flags with pencils as the flagpole.
Flashcards, games, and quizzes for almost every subject.
How well do you know the United States? Great for a family competition.
Are your younger children feeling left out of schooling? This site has fun printables for younger children on almost every subject.
Read, play games, and hang out with Dr. Seuss and his friends.
Play Games while practicing math and reading skills.
Have your child choose a poem that corresponds with the time period they are studying in History. Don’t shy away from the classics. Children can learn Shakespeare, Longfellow, Frost, and Whitman.
Memorize a couple of lines each day. When completed, have them recite the poem and video it for friends and family.
Benefits of Poetry Memorization:
• It builds vocabulary and reading comprehension.
• When a student performs a recitation, he is building speech and presentation skills.
• When students see references to great poems in plays, movies, comic strips, and other books, they will understand the references. This is especially true if your students memorize Shakespeare because he isquoted more than any other author.
• It fills up students with patterns of language. When your students start writing, these patterns will spill back out.
• They may be on Jeopardy someday!
LOWER ELEMENTARY Grades K - 3rd
Play games with your children. Here’s a list of fun, but educational games: Monopoly, Bananagrams, Boggle, Scrabble, Rummikub, Rush Hour, Go, Chess, Mastermind, Risk…
Play the good old-fashion card game War. It teaches number recognition and helps them learn number order in a fun way.
• Write and illustrate a story together.
• Make a comic book together.
• Use shaving cream on the counter or table to write in. Practice math facts, spelling words, shapes,fractions… the list is endless and it’s ok to get messy because it’s basically soap!